Friday, March 14, 2008

Voice Studio

What a joy it is to be teaching again! I didn’t realize how much I missed it really. I spent most of my time in London trying to find singing work, or a teaching job, that I didn’t really try hard to find private pupils. So, as a consequence, I didn’t teach much at all. I had a couple of people call me (they saw my entry in an online teachers list) asking for a lesson to prepare for an audition they had coming up. But they weren’t interested in learning how to sing. Later, close to the end of my stay in London I took on 2 pupils, one a Canadian who I met at Carol Baggott-Forte’s course in Brighton, and the other a woman who’d found me through the internet. I was very sorry to leave them in the lurch like that, having only just started teaching them and leaving town just a few short months later.

But now, here in Hannover, I have tried a little harder to find pupils right away, but not much. I hung a few notices in Libraries and such and put up entries on various classified type websites, but that was it. And as of now I have 3 pupils who’ll come regularly and one who’s coming after Easter for a trial lesson, but who seems keen! Not bad.

Now if I could just find someone to hire me to sing sooner rather than later, I’d be happier than a clam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane: Just heard your narration of Ken Macleod's Lighting Out and just let me say it was the most well done and entertaining podcast ive heard to date! I always wondered what Ken's work might sound like read aloud and I was completely thrilled to hear it.THANK YOU!
David Page

Diane Severson said...

David, Thank you very much for your VERY kind comment! It was my pleasure entirely, and I'm glad you liked it. Ken's story was a challenge because of the extremely long sentences, but I think I managed! I've read 2 other stories for the StarShipSofa, if you haven't heard them already: Infinity Syrup, by Laurel Winter and The Sledge-maker's Daughter, by Alastair Reynolds. Both great stories. I'll be doing more (look for Storm Constantine, Elizabeth Bear and Jeff VanDerMeer) so stay tuned!