Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Poetry Planet No. 10 - Elgin and Dwarf Stars Awards Showcase

Poetry Planet is back!

After 8 months, it's embarrassing to say, I've finally produced another Poetry Planet. This is the 10th one. You may (or may not) be wondering what happened to No. 9. Well, way back with the Time Travel episodes, I did something ridiculous and numbered that split episode Nos. 5a and 5b. And then went on with No. 6 etc. However, there have, in fact, been 10 episodes, so I'm going to remedy that now!

This 10th edition of Poetry Planet is dedicated to the recently announced winners and placers of both the new Elgin Award and the Dwarf Stars Award in Science Fiction Poetry awarded by the Science Fiction Poetry Association.

You'll find it on StarShipSofa.com in episode No. 303 at about the 01:17.0 marker. As usual, you can listen to it on the site itself, or download it on iTunes or your usual podcatcher.

Linkety linkage:

You'll hear a poem from each of the best chapbook length collections (Elgin Award):


And a poem from each of the full-length collections (Elgin Award)


The top 3 Dwarf Stars Award poems

3. "Sarcophagus", (inkscrawl 3) N.E. Taylor,
2. "The Hidden", from Lovers & Killers, Mary Turzillo and
1. (Winner) "Basho after Cinderella (iii)", (Rattle 38), Deborah P. Kolodji

Please follow the links to their websites and/or books and check them out!

I had the pleasure of reviewing each of the collections, which placed in the Elgin Award on Amazing Stories. If you would like to check out those reviews please go to my author page.

Enjoy!!

* * *


2 comments:

Steve said...

Diane, I must say, its a welcome return. Before you contribution to the StarShipSofa I'd never really come read much SF poetry. There's something about having poetry read out load, it adds meaning that really doesn't come across to me from the written page. Thanks.

Diane Severson said...

Thanks so much, Steve! I agree! I get so much more out of poetry when I read it out loud or sing it. I don't know where the time went! I didn't feel like it had been so long, probably because I kept recording poetry for my blog posts at Amazing stories. So if you'd like to hear more examples from the books I reviewed go there!